Skip to main content

Training for a race!! Is it even possible?

Hello!  Thank you for stopping by my blog,  my outlet to talk about my journey to run a few races and keep healthy in general as a stay at home mom.  Just to give a background, I never liked to run or do any activity in my twenties and I paid the price for "letting myself go".  Prior to meeting my husband, I started dieting.  When we started dating, we had our routine of going to work out.  After several months of hard work, I was down 20 pounds and very comfortable with myself and just 5 pounds short of my goal weight.  Now here I am, married and a stay at home mom to my beautiful 18 month old daughter.  Life couldn't be better except the fact that I have a few pounds to lose from the baby weight.  I was on my way and running again.  I was able to run the Hot Chocolate 15K (9.3 miles) 10 months after she was born.  Then winter came and so did the registration for the Chicago Marathon 2012.  Plans were looking great until my ill fated day of when I had a bad fall from skiing in Park City and with it came a partially torn ligament and one sprained ligament.  Needless to say, there went my hopes to run the Chicago Marathon.  In order for me to run, I need a goal, a race to train for.  So now my new goal is the Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon and my 12 week training is now commencing.  Hopefully I can make the time for it.

WHAT?  You sit at home all day, how do you not have the time to run a few miles 4 days a week?
Hmmmm is all I can say to you.  Well if you can ask that, you clearly don't have a child or you have a full time nanny.  I don't have the latter, so I have to wait for naps or when my daughter is sleeping in order to run.  For the past week, I have been running during naps.  I have put down the laundry basket and vacuum cleaner and lace up my shoes instead.  This is hard for me, I have a beautiful house that I want clean at all times, but with my 18 month old it's virtually impossible to have a spotless house.  I have come to grips with that and have lowered my expectations that I have on myself to maintain a spotless house.  I do however always have dinner ready and waiting for my hubby ( i love him so!).  

Other issues that I need to deal with is FOOD!  I love food, and I bake all the time.  I pass by the kitchen and take a bite here, nibble there and I eat bad.  Especially after a run, I am so hungry because it's way past lunch time and I also have a mentality that since I just lost 400+ calories, I can eat whatever.  NOPE!  I need to stop.  Just because my daughter is eating a PB&J sandwich doesn't mean that I can have one too (maybe just a bite or two though?)  

So here I am , week two of training in my 12 week program to run a half marathon.  Here is the program that I am following:

I happily have done my weekday runs this week.  I am very sore and it feels great.  Hopefully I find the time to do my long run.  Sadly my pace is not where I would like it to be, it's currently at a 12.5min/mile pace, I want to be at least at a 11.5 min pace, but I have to deal with mental issues of my knee giving in and me falling flat on my face on the treadmill.  I don't want to push myself!

Wish me luck and thank you again for reading!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ProLon FMD Fasting time

I am a junkie .. a cleanse junkie.  The idea of not eating the junk processed, over salted, over fried, too much of anything appeals to me very much.  Now with studies showing intermittent fasting is on the trend and can be good for you, why not try it?  I have tried a few cleanses over time so I feel like I can talk about them, and how I felt and which ones I would do again.  This is my first "fast" though. Salt ~ Lemonade ~ Cayenne Pepper Cleanse This cleanse is hardcore and I at my age and where I am at in life would not do it again.  You down SALTY water first thing in the morning which almost immediately follows with a trip to the bathroom since it runs straight through your system.  You drink the lemonade cayenne pepper drink all day and a laxative tea at night.  You do this for several days.  Supposedly it helps clear out your colon.  Which I can see ... around day 5 there were still some solids which I had to idea where they were coming from seeing as I was only

Holidays .. dont' forget about YOU Mommy!!

The holidays are just around the corner ... so many things come to mind .. who is hosting, what do I make, my holiday list is how long again, and they want WHHAAT!!  UGH ... what about you Mommy, where are you on this list, where are you on the list of priorities?  My husband works pretty crazy hours, I have dubbed myself a "Single, not Single Parent" ... I don't have to worry about how to pay the bills and keep a roof over my family's head, but I do have to make sure my girls are well taken care of.  Thankfully my village of sanity includes my awesome parents that give me a hand pretty often.  I digress ... so how do I find time for myself? Number 1 - Exercise - Yes!  Love me some FIT4MOM, but right now with my 3 year old's schedule, I can't make any classes .. so my second LOVE of exercise life .. Burn Boot Camp.  Membership comes with childcare and thankfully my 3 year old loves it in there and runs in with excitement to play with the different toys.  I

New mom ... find your new workout tribe!

One word .. FIT4MOM !! Fit4Mom has workouts for every stage of motherhood from being pregnant to wanting to get back that killer bod (or at least lose a few pounds and then some ;)  ) There is prenatal fitness classes called FIt4Baby ... studies have shown how beneficial it is to workout out while pregnant (with your doctors permission of course).  There classes are a great workout plus you get to meet other women on the same journey as you are. After you have that cute bundle of joy, there is Stroller Strides or Stroller Barre.  Both classes enable you to bring your baby, both classes keep you and that baby moving so that they aren't stationary (and we moms know how babies like to feel movement) and it also incorporates singing and keeping your baby entertained while you get a fantastic workout.  Stroller Strides is more cardio and strength while Stroller Barre is more toning, posture and alignment.  Best part of class is that there are playgroups where the playgroup capta