Skip to main content

How about that Disney race ....

Ah Disney ... The most magical place on the planet.  I have hundreds of memories from going to Disney as a child from ages 4 - 15, at least once a year, sometimes twice.  Easily about 20 times in my lifetime.  So having the chance to run into Magic Kingdom through Cinderella's castle, not to mention the amazing medals that you can get ... How can you turn that down??   After paying the bargain price of $350 to run a 10K and Half Marathon the training commenced (after I gave birth to an almost 10 pound baby!!).

One thing I have to say about Disney, their packet pickup and actual event is that they are extremely organized.  After working with a local running company, and just participating in other races, no one has the organization or man power like Disney has.   If you can afford it, staying within Disney property is worth it.  They had specific transportation for the run to the expo and to the races itself.  You don't have to worry about parking and the traffic to get to the expo or the race.  The buses all had their own routes to get in and out.

The expo was very organized.  It reminded me of a Bank of America packet pickup.  Huge space, everything marked, easy to follow and fast.  The only thing that was horrible was the line to pay if you were going to buy extra goodies and commemorative items.  People were going crazy buying 2-3 dooney & Burke special "princess" edition purses.  I personally thought they were quite cheesy and on the Facebook group for the Glass Slipper challenge, a lot of people had buyers remorse and we're trying to sell them.

10K race:
Organization was fantastic!  Easy to find corrals, tons and tons of port-o-potties, water stations everywhere in case you needed to drink water prior to the race.  It was chilly so I recommend you bring throw away layers or a garbage bag to keep you warm until you run.  If you have a mylar wrap from the 5k (if you are running all three races - no special medal for all three, just the two), bring that instead since you get another one after the 10K.  The ladies watching the last corral weren't really paying attention, a lot of people were jumping corrals.  No one was busted.  Biggest complaint is that it took forever to get going.  If you were in the last corral like me (I forgot to submit proof of finishing time...pregnancy brain) you didn't start until about 45 minutes after the first set of people started.  The course was great, you ran through Epcot and all the countries, and through the the boardwalk.  There were several characters throughout, but I did not stop for any pictures.  I do wish that they placed more port-o-potties along route.  Lines to use them were very long and you worry about being swept.  There were enough water stations so don't worry about bringing your own water.

Half Marathon:
I was anticipating that the start would be the same as the 10K, it more!  It went faster considering there were a lot more people and corrals and the firework show before each corral took off ... awesome!!  I have issues with this race ... there are so many miles of narrow parts and people start completely walking around mile 7 .. after Magic Kingdom.  When the race was said and done, I did almost 14 miles because I had to weave in between the walkers.  ARRGGHHH  where is your walking etiquette ladies?  There are so many points in the race where trying to run is a joke, you truly expend more energy trying to pass walkers.  This is why I will not do this race for a very long time.  The course is nice then it gets boring around mile 9.  Highlights were the soldiers from Toy Story yelling at everyone to start running, they were on the ramp up to Epcot.

All in all, the race was good.  I got my three medals, which is all I wanted anyway.  I was able to do this race with only three months of training after I had my daughter that in itself was a pretty huge accomplishment.  Would I do it again... possibly with my daughters when they are old enough, but not in the near future.

#rundisney #fitfluential #glassslipperchallenge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ProLon FMD Fasting time

I am a junkie .. a cleanse junkie.  The idea of not eating the junk processed, over salted, over fried, too much of anything appeals to me very much.  Now with studies showing intermittent fasting is on the trend and can be good for you, why not try it?  I have tried a few cleanses over time so I feel like I can talk about them, and how I felt and which ones I would do again.  This is my first "fast" though. Salt ~ Lemonade ~ Cayenne Pepper Cleanse This cleanse is hardcore and I at my age and where I am at in life would not do it again.  You down SALTY water first thing in the morning which almost immediately follows with a trip to the bathroom since it runs straight through your system.  You drink the lemonade cayenne pepper drink all day and a laxative tea at night.  You do this for several days.  Supposedly it helps clear out your colon.  Which I can see ... around day 5 there were still some solids which I had to idea where they were coming from seeing as I was only

Holidays .. dont' forget about YOU Mommy!!

The holidays are just around the corner ... so many things come to mind .. who is hosting, what do I make, my holiday list is how long again, and they want WHHAAT!!  UGH ... what about you Mommy, where are you on this list, where are you on the list of priorities?  My husband works pretty crazy hours, I have dubbed myself a "Single, not Single Parent" ... I don't have to worry about how to pay the bills and keep a roof over my family's head, but I do have to make sure my girls are well taken care of.  Thankfully my village of sanity includes my awesome parents that give me a hand pretty often.  I digress ... so how do I find time for myself? Number 1 - Exercise - Yes!  Love me some FIT4MOM, but right now with my 3 year old's schedule, I can't make any classes .. so my second LOVE of exercise life .. Burn Boot Camp.  Membership comes with childcare and thankfully my 3 year old loves it in there and runs in with excitement to play with the different toys.  I

New mom ... find your new workout tribe!

One word .. FIT4MOM !! Fit4Mom has workouts for every stage of motherhood from being pregnant to wanting to get back that killer bod (or at least lose a few pounds and then some ;)  ) There is prenatal fitness classes called FIt4Baby ... studies have shown how beneficial it is to workout out while pregnant (with your doctors permission of course).  There classes are a great workout plus you get to meet other women on the same journey as you are. After you have that cute bundle of joy, there is Stroller Strides or Stroller Barre.  Both classes enable you to bring your baby, both classes keep you and that baby moving so that they aren't stationary (and we moms know how babies like to feel movement) and it also incorporates singing and keeping your baby entertained while you get a fantastic workout.  Stroller Strides is more cardio and strength while Stroller Barre is more toning, posture and alignment.  Best part of class is that there are playgroups where the playgroup capta